Tuesday 20 May 2014

Well Done Paul!

It's hard to believe that our study series in The Story is almost over.  I personally wish we would have spent more time on both Jesus' and Paul's life and ministry. However, we will have lot's of time to get to know them better in the days ahead as we read the Word, study it and meditate on it over and over again. There will also be other studies (I am sure) that we can do as small groups that will allow us to go deeper into their lives and teaching, so that we can become more like Christ.

Our desire is to be like Christ .. act like him, talk like him, love like him, work like him, serve like him. You know what I mean!  Paul's desire was obviously that too!  Look at his life ... look at his actions ... look at his dedication ... his perseverance ... his love for one another ... his commitment ... his teaching ... everything about Paul exemplifies Jesus. He imitated Christ completely. He even said to us "imitate me as I imitate Christ"! He fought the fight, he finished the race. He knew he was going to suffer and die for what he believed and taught but he also said, "For to me, living means living for Christ and dying is even better." Philippians 2:21

I hope that I am becoming more and more like Paul, more and more like Jesus. I hope that we can all have this attitude and desire and that the Holy Spirit would continue to place that desire in us and teach us and transform us into his likeness.

Jesus said "Abide in me". Paul said yes to that command. He said, "My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20. Paul was completely dependent on God. He walked in the spirit and was lead by the spirit and he exhorts us to do the same. His life was difficult and included much suffering like Christ, but his life produced much fruit and still does today.

During his life (after his encounter with Jesus), his mission was to do what Jesus commissioned him to do. "Saul is my chosen instrument to take my message to the Gentiles and to the kings, as well as to the people of Israel. And I will show him how much he must suffer for my name's sake." Acts 9:15,16  ... and we can see from his letters that he spent day and night, tirelessly, accomplishing this mission in the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit.

In the process of serving Jesus, his personal goal was to know Jesus intimately. He says in Philippians 3:10, "I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead." Wow! Do you see his heart? Does this reflect what you desire? I believe Paul accomplished his goal and indeed he will be resurrected from the dead as all believers will ... this is our assured hope!

Yes Paul died. We are told he was beheaded. He died, however, full of joy and peace and satisfaction that he did God's will and that he would be with Jesus forever.

Before he died, like Jesus, he gave Timothy (and us) work to finish, aligned with Jesus' great commission of course! He said, " your name here, my dear son / daughter, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others." Paul said this to Timothy (and us), but doesn't this just sound like something Jesus would say to us. Of course it does!

Jesus was in Paul and Paul was in Jesus. Jesus, too is in us, and we ought to be in and remain in him. If we do, we too will leave this world a tremendous legacy of much fruit and be a blessing to countless as we live a selfless life in Jesus Christ.


.


No comments:

Post a Comment